Australian Radio Station Cancels Show After ‘Royal Hoax Tragedy’

Australian Radio Station Cancels Show After 'Royal Hoax Tragedy'The company that owns the radio station responsible for the Kate Middleton radio prank says it has “terminated” the show … and will implement “a company-wide suspension of ‘prank’ calls.”

‘Company-wide suspension’

Southern Cross Austereo (SCA) issued the statement this morning saying it still feels “deep regret” for the death of hospital nurse Jacintha Saldanha following the prank … and “take the events of the last few days very seriously.” SCA says it has taken the following action:

- The suspension of all advertising on 2DayFM until further notice;
- The termination of 2DayFM’s Hot 30 show;
- A Company-wide suspension of “prank” calls
- A comprehensive review of relevant company policies and processes

SCA says it has tried to reach out to the hospital, but had “no success.” SCA doesn’t believe it broke the law by making the calls … but says it will cooperate with any police investigation.


‘Bragging’

SCA Chief Executive Officer Rhys Holleran added, “First and foremost we would like to express our deep and sincere condolences to the family of Jacintha Saldanha for their loss. We are very sorry for what has happened.” He says SCA is also “providing support to our people who are deeply saddened by this tragic and unforseen event.”

As we previously reported … before they were suspended, the DJs were actually BRAGGING about the call — in which they impersonated members of the royal family to get information about Kate’s medical condition.

Do you think cancelling the said show was a good move for the radio station? Should the DJ-pranksters be held responsible for the death of Nurse Jacintha Saldanha? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions with us via the comment box below!

Source: TMZ

Image: Frugal Cafe Blog Zone

‘America’s Oldest Teenager’ Dick Clark Dies at 82

Dick Clark, the producer and television personality known as “America’s Oldest Teenager” for his perennially youthful looks and enthusiasm, has died at age 82.

Clark suffered a “massive heart attack” on Wednesday morning, his rep says in a statement, after he entered St. John’s Health Center in Santa Monica, Calif., for an outpatient procedure on Tuesday night. ”Attempts to resuscitate were unsuccessful. He is survived by his wife Kari and his three children, RAC, Duane and Cindy,” the statement continues. Clark, a diabetic, had suffered a stroke in 2004 but continued in recent years to appear on his New Year’s Eve special from Times Square with Ryan Seacrest hosting.


The Mount Vernon, N.Y.-born Clark got his start in the mailroom of his father’s radio station in upstate New York before working as a disc jockey at his college station and then in Philadelphia in the early 1950s. When ABC picked up his dance show Bandstand, renaming it American Bandstand, the program became a sensation and featured the biggest names in the early days of rock ‘n’ roll – everyone from Little Richard to Chuck Berry.

Clark went on to produce and to host the $10,000 Pyramid and other game shows, as well as the American Music Awards, the Golden Globes and, starting in 1972, the New Year’s countdown show Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve

In December 2004, Clark suffered a major stroke that left him partially paralyzed with his speech impaired. After Regis Philbin filled in for him, Clark returned a year later for an emotional appearance on the show, addressing the audience in slurred speech. He continued to appear on the show but later handed over hosting duties to Seacrest.

Will Dick Clark be missed in the showbiz industry? Tell us what you liked about him!

Source: People

Image: Storify