OKC Thunders’ Kevin Durant Donates $1M For Tornado Relief

OKC Thunders' Kevin Durant Donates $1M For Tornado ReliefKevin Durant is truly an outstanding human being. According to CBS Sports’ Royce Young, the Oklahoma City Thunder superstar has donated $1 million to the Red Cross’ Tornado Relief fund.

‘This is so Durant’

NBA wunderkind or not, $1 million is a lot of cash. Durant earned approximately $17.5 million playing for the Thunder this past season (not including endorsements and the like), so his donation accounts for more than five percent of his principle salary. The Oklahoma City Thunder have matched Durant’s donation and have also pledged $1 million to the Red Cross “to aid with disaster relief,” according to Young.

Few people are prepared to devote five percent of their income to charity. Some just aren’t in a position to do so. But Durant is, and so he did. His contribution, however, is hardly surprising. Most would have been shocked if he didn’t pledge a lump sum to the cause, because this is so Durant.


‘Making a difference’

The unsuccessful attempt at anonymity is also vintage Durant. He didn’t publicize his donation or release a statement. He just opened his wallet to the city he represents and the family he loves in hopes of making a difference.

Durant could have stopped at tweeting his support. Urging others to dole out their hard-earned money could have been considered enough. For Durant, it wasn’t. He put his money where his Twitter handle was. He implored everyone to pitch in $10 and then ponied up $1 million of his own.

Do you admire Kevin Durant for his big heart and generosity for the Oklahoma tornado victims? Would you be able to do the same, too?

 

Source: Dan Favale, Bleacher Report

Image: UPI

L.A. Authorities Offer $1 Million Reward For Christopher Dorner

L.A. Authorities Offer $1 Million Reward For Christopher DornerThe city of Los Angeles put up $1 million in reward money Sunday for help catching Christopher Dorner, the renegade ex-cop accused of killing three people in a vendetta against his old department.

‘Reign of terror’

“We will not tolerate anyone undermining the security, the tranquility of our neighborhoods and our communities,” Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa told reporters. “We will not tolerate this reign of terror that has robbed us of the peace of mind that residents of Southern California deserve. We will not tolerate this murderer remaining at large.”

The offer — raised in conjunction with businesses, private donors and community groups — is “the largest ever offered to our knowledge,” Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said. The hope is it will shake loose a tip that leads to Dorner’s eventual conviction.


‘Last resort’

The Los Angeles Police Department says Dorner, a 270-pound, 6-foot former Navy officer, was fired in 2009 for filing a false complaint of excessive force against his training officer. In an interview aired Sunday on CNN affiliate KCBS, Beck called Dorner a “trained assassin” but said he wouldn’t be harmed if he gave himself up.

Dorner accused his training officer of kicking a mentally ill man during an arrest in 2007. The LAPD ruled the complaint unfounded and kicked Dorner off the force for filing a false complaint. He challenged his firing in court and lost. In a manifesto released last week, he blamed racism and corruption in the department for his removal and vowed to wage “unconventional and asymmetrical warfare” against LAPD officers and their families. He called it a “last resort” to clear his name and strike back at a department he says mistreated him.

Do you believe Christopher Dorner’s accusation against his training officer? And how long do you think this massive manhunt would go on before the authorities catch him?

Source: Matt Smith, CNN

Image: The Telegraph