Computer Mouse Creator Douglas Engelbart Dies At 88

Computer Mouse Creator Douglas Engelbart Dies At 88Douglas Engelbart, whose invention of the mouse transformed the way people interact with computers, died Tuesday night at his home in Atherton, California, SRI International — the research institute where he once worked –said in a statement. He was 88.

‘A vision’

Decades ago, Engelbart came up with the idea we now know as a mouse. His first prototype, which featured a carved out wooden block, wheels and a tiny red button, looks quite different from the sleek plastic designs now seen in homes and offices around the world.

A radar technician during World War II, Engelbart worked at the Stanford Research Institute during the 1960s. It was there that a vision of people sitting in front of a video screen, interacting with a computer, came to him.


‘Global scale’

Engelbart invented and patented what he called the “x-y position indicator,” receiving a $10,000 check for the invention. He told CNN he couldn’t recall who on his team had decided to call it a mouse. Later, he went on to found the Doug Engelbart Institute, a nonprofit dedicated to boosting the collective ability to solve complex, urgent problems on a global scale.

In addition to the computer mouse, Engelbart’s work at SRI from 1957 to 1977 helped develop tech innovations such as display editing, online processing, linking and in-file object addressing, use of multiple windows, hypermedia, and context-sensitive help, the institute said.

Engelbart is survived by his wife and four children.

Can you imagine a modern world without the computer mouse? Which technological innovation do you find the most interesting?

Source: CNN

Image: Nerds in the Know

Inspector: $6B Lost Iraq Cash Now Accounted For

A U.S. Iraq inspector general report said this week that the $6.6 billion cash that they though had been lost in the early days of the Iraq occupation has finally been accounted for.

“The mystery of $6 billion that seemed to go missing in the early days of the Iraq war has been resolved according to a new report,” said CNN national security producer Charles Keyes on Wednesday. “New evidence shows most of that money, $6.6 billion, did not go astray in that chaotic period, but ended up where it was supposed to be, under the control of the Iraqi government, according to a report from the office of the Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction or SIGIR.”

According to a previous SIGIR report, Stuart Bowen, the special inspector general for Iraq reconstruction, had testified that out of the $10 billion shipped from the United States to Iraq, up to $6.6 billion went missing because of “weaknesses in [the Department of Defense’s] financial and management controls,”, Keyes reported. [Read more…]