Justice Department Lacks Evidence For Racial Bias In Zimmerman Trial

Justice Department Lacks Evidence For Racial Bias In Zimmerman TrialThe Justice Department was running into immediate hurdles Monday in its investigation of possible civil rights violations by George Zimmerman in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin — namely, that after examining the case for more than a year, the evidence has not changed.

‘Racial bias’

Though the department announced after Zimmerman’s acquittal that it would consider a possible federal case, previously filed FBI documents show agents have not turned up any accounts that Zimmerman, before the February 2012 shooting, exhibited racial bias.

Attorney General Eric Holder, in his first post-verdict comments, confirmed Monday during a speech in Washington, D.C., that his department continues to investigate while signaling concern for the position of the Martin family and those — such as the NAACP — pressuring the DOJ. Holder even appeared to suggest the possibility of bias in this case, saying it’s important to address “underlying attitudes, mistaken beliefs and stereotypes that serve as the basis for these too common incidents.”


‘Number one challenge’

But Florida defense attorney Brian Tannebaum told FoxNews.com that the “number one challenge” for DOJ is the evidence, or lack thereof.

Still, the Justice Department agreed to requests from NAACP President Benjamin Todd Jealous and several lawmakers to keep investigating the defendant. The department is under heavy pressure from some groups to pursue the case further.

Was racial bias evident in George Zimmerman’s case? Feel free to share your thoughts on this issue!

Source: Fox News

Image: Guardian Express

FCC: AT&T Lied About T-Mobile Merger

The Federal Communications Commission on Tuesday blasted AT&T, accusing the telecom giant of lying about the benefits of its proposed merger with T-Mobile. Its 109-page report on the proposal found that AT&T was saying one thing publicly but telling a different story internally around its claims that the deal would create jobs and is necessary for AT&T to deploy next-generation wireless technology. The FCC thinks AT&T was lying to the public about the benefits of the merger.

The FCC released the report even though, in a surprise move, AT&T said on Thanksgiving that it is no longer seeking the regulator’s approval for the merger. Many analysts say they believe that AT&T’s withdrawal was in part an attempt to prevent the FCC from going public with its reasons for opposing the deal. AT&T called the FCC’s decision to release the report both “troubling” and “improper.”

AT&T has reason to be disgruntled: The FCC’s move will further complicate its already troubled merger plan. AT&T also complained that the draft report had not been made available to the company prior to Tuesday, depriving it of the chance to prepare a response.

Though AT&T is still pursuing the merger, the FCC’s harsh statements suggest that approval won’t be easy. AT&T set aside $4 billion last week to cover the break-up fee it will owe Deutsche Telekom, T-Mobile’s parent company, should the deal not go through. FCC officials said they will consider the proposal if AT&T returns with it. But to get that far, AT&T will first have to vanquish the DOJ in court and prevail in the upcoming antitrust case.

 

Source & Image