Olympic Female Badminton Pairs Charged With Trying To Lose Games

The Badminton World Federation has charged eight female Olympic doubles players with “not using one’s best efforts to win a match”. Four pairs of players – two from South Korea, one from China and one from Indonesia – could be disciplined.

China’s Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli and South Koreans Jung Kyung-eun and Kim Ha-na were among those accused. Earlier, their match was booed by spectators at Wembley Arena. Both pairs were already through to the quarter-finals. Reports have suggested they both wanted to lose to secure an easier draw. The South Koreans eventually won their match, to go on to play China’s Tian Qing and Zhao Yunlei. The South Korean pair did not comment, but Yu said she and Wang were saving energy for the knockout stages.

The longest rally in the first game lasted four shots, with match referee Thorsten Berg coming on to court at one point to warn the players. And a later match between South Korean third seeds Ha Jung-Eun and Kim Min-Jung and Indonesian pair Meiliana Juahari and Greysia Polii is also under scrutiny by the Badminton World Federation.


Both pairs of those teams had also already qualified for the knockout stages, with the winner of Group C to play Yu and Wang and the Korean pairs to face each other if Ha and Kim lost. The Koreans eventually won by two sets to one.

A statement from the BWF confirmed that all four pairs would face charges of “not using one’s best efforts to win a match” and “conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport”.

Do you believe that these female badminton players were deliberately trying to lose in the said games? Tell us what you think of their game efforts!

Source: BBC News

Image: iTV News

Costa Concordia Captain Faces Manslaughter Charges

The captain of the cruise ship that wrecked off Italy’s western coast will be questioned by authorities Tuesday at a hearing, his attorney said.

Francesco Schettino is under arrest and may face charges that include manslaughter, shipwreck, and abandoning a ship when passengers were still on board, according to Italian prosecutor Francesco Verusio. Schettino could face up to 15 years in prison.

The captain’s attorney, Bruno Leporatti, said in a statement Monday that Schettino was “shattered, dismayed, saddened for the loss of lives and strongly disturbed. “But, he said, Schettino is “nonetheless comforted by the fact that he maintained during those moments the necessary lucidity to put in place a difficult emergency maneuver … bringing the ship to shallow waters.” That move, Leporatti said, saved the lives of many passengers and crew members.

Late Monday, the head of Italy’s coast guard said 29 people remained unaccounted for from the partially sunken cruise ship Costa Concordia — a sharp spike from earlier estimates of the missing. Coast guard chief Marco Brusco said the whereabouts of four crew members and 25 passengers were unknown, Italy’s ANSA news agency reported.

Schettino, who has been with Costa since 2002, had never been involved in an accident before, Foschi said. The company had said earlier that Schettino may have made “significant” errors during the travel in Europe that led to the wreck. There were roughly 4,200 people on the Costa Concordia when it ran aground.

 

Source: CNN

Image: Radar Online