Severely Wounded Troops Snubbed At Walter Reed Dining Hall

Severely Wounded Troops Snubbed At Walter Reed Dining HallIn a disturbing revelation about the treatment of America’s most severely wounded troops, Fox News has learned the military earlier this month decided to invalidate meal tickets and reduce hours for the sole dining facility in the Walter Reed building where they are recovering.

‘Walk, wheel or limp’

The decision affects the Warrior Cafe located inside building 62, home to all multiple amputees and long-term, recovering patients at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Md.

The decision would mean wounded warriors who would normally have a government-funded meal just down the hall would have to walk, wheel or limp nearly a half-mile across the Walter Reed campus to the temporary “food trailer” for breakfast, lunch and dinner.


‘Misappropriated’

After Fox News submitted multiple inquiries with senior military officials earlier this week, the Pentagon responded late Wednesday. Lt. Col. Catherine Wilkinson, a Pentagon spokesman, told Fox News that Dr. Jonathan Woodson, assistant secretary of Defense for health affairs, has decided to reverse the changes. Yet so far, no patients at Walter Reed have been notified of that decision and there has been no formal announcement.

Officials in the Pentagon and at Walter Reed did not respond to questions about why the changes were made, but congressional sources with knowledge of the decision say it was based on concerns that government funds for the warrior meals were being misappropriated.

How should the government address this concern? Do you think the warrior meals are indeed being misappropriated? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions with us via the comment box below!

Source: Justin Fishel, Jennifer Griffin | Fox News

Image: Free Republic

George Zimmerman Rescues Family From Car Crash

George Zimmerman Rescues Family From Car CrashGeorge Zimmerman, who has not been seen publicly since his acquittal in the murder of Trayvon Martin earlier this month, surfaced last week to rescue an unidentified family trapped in an overturned vehicle on a Florida highway, police said Monday.

‘No reports of injuries’

Sanford Police Department Capt. Jim McAuliffe told Fox News that Zimmerman, 29, was identified by a crash victim as the man who pulled him from the mangled vehicle.

The Seminole County Sheriff’s Office said the single-car accident occurred July 17 at approximately 5:45 pm. and involved a blue Ford Explorer SUV that had left the road and rolled over. The sheriff’s office said there were four occupants inside — two parents and two children. There were no reports of injuries.


‘Death threats’

The deputy responding to the crash said that when he arrived, two men — one of whom was Zimmerman — had already gotten the family out of the overturned vehicle. Zimmerman was not a witness to the crash and left after making contact with the deputy, the sheriff’s office said. The crash occurred at the intersection of I-4 and Route 417 in Sanford, police said.

Zimmerman was acquitted of second-degree murder on July 13 in the killing of Trayvon Martin on Feb. 26, 2012. Zimmerman’s parents, meanwhile, have told ABC News that they have received death threats and have been unable to return to their home following the verdict.

With all the death threats and other controversies, would you have stopped to help rescue the family if you were Zimmerman? Do you think George Zimmerman should have been declared guilty in the Trayvon Martin murder case?

Source: Fox News

Image: The Hollywood Gossip