Samsung Galaxy Nexus Banned In U.S.

A judge in California has blocked US sales of Samsung’s Galaxy Nexus smartphones while the court decides on the firm’s patent dispute with Apple.

US District Judge Lucy Koh said Apple “has shown a likelihood of establishing both infringement and validity”. Earlier this week, she barred sales of Samsung’s Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet in the US until the case was resolved. However, she said that Apple would have to post bonds of nearly $100m (£64m) to enforce the rare pre-trial injunctions. The bonds serve to secure payment of damages sustained by Samsung should it win the cases.


Samsung, the South Korean electronics giant, said it was “disappointed” by Friday’s decision: ”We will take all available measures, including legal action, to ensure the Galaxy Nexus remains available to consumers,” it said in a statement.

California-based Apple and Samsung are involved in a variety of legal cases in various countries across the globe amid claims and counter claims of patent infringement. While Apple had accused Samsung of “blatant copying” of its design and look, the South Korean firm has alleged that Apple infringed its patents relating to the way phones and tablet PCs connect to the internet.

Apple and Samsung are two of the biggest manufacturers of tablet PCs and smartphones in the world. Analysts said that given the growth potential, the two firms were using every possible tactic to ensure that they capture a bigger share of the market.

What is your opinion about the Nexus being banned in the U.S.? Which brand do you prefer — Apple or Samsung?

Source: BBC News

Image: CNET

Apple and Samsung Push HTC Sales to Bottom

Once high-flying Android manufacturer HTC reported weak fourth quarter results and forecast an even tougher first quarter as competition from Apple and Samsung squeezed the Taiwanese smartphone maker.

In the first quarter, HTC said it was expecting revenue of between 65 billion and 70 billion Taiwanese dollars or $2.20-2.37 billion, which could amount to as much as a 36 percent drop from the previous quarter. Analysts had expected HTC to generate $89.64 billion or $3.04 billion in revenue this quarter. HTC said the disappointing forecast stemmed from its transition to newer products, which will be previewed at the Mobile World Congress. It called the slow down “temporary.”


The company has been talking about putting out fewer phones and rallying around more “hero” devices. HTC rode the wave behind Android and enjoyed a lot of growth along with the rest of the smartphone market. But as Samsung began cranking on Android phones, Apple exploded last quarter with an impressive showing on iPhone sales and low-end Chinese makers ZTE and Huawei came on strong, it has left HTC with less room to stand out.

HTC will hope that the HTC Ville, a 4.3-inch inch Android 4.0 device, and other upcoming devices can help lead a turnaround. But it’s unclear what will provide the real spark. The HTC Rezound was one of the top Android devices this fall from HTC but it got overshadowed by the Galaxy Nexus from Samsung and the Motorola Razr.

Source: Digg

Image: Tech Radar