WHO: New SARS-Like Virus Is A Threat To The World

WHO New SARS-Like Virus Is A Threat To The WorldA new SARS-like virus recently found in humans is “a threat to the entire world,” according to the director-general of the United Nations’ World Health Organization.

‘Not SARS’

Novel coronavirus is part of a family called coronaviruses, which cause illnesses ranging from the common cold to SARS, or Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, as well as a variety of animal diseases. However, the new virus is not SARS.

The virus had infected 44 people worldwide as of last week, most of them in the Middle East, according to the World Health Organization’s most recent update Thursday. Half of them have died. Also in its Thursday update, the WHO appeared to have given the novel coronavirus a name: Middle East respiratory symptom coronavirus, or MERS-CoV.


‘Not yet known’

Novel coronavirus acts like a cold virus and attacks the respiratory system, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said. But symptoms, which include fever and a cough, are severe and can lead to pneumonia and kidney failure. Gastrointestinal symptoms such as diarrhea have also been seen, according to the WHO.

It’s not yet known how humans contract the virus, experts have said. Most of the cases so far have been seen in older men with other medical conditions; precise numbers are hard to come by, as officials don’t know how many people might contract a mild form.

Cases have been identified in eight countries including France and Saudi Arabia, according to the WHO. Other European countries include Germany and the United Kingdom. No cases have been reported in the United States, but infectious disease experts have said it would not be surprising.

Are you alarmed by this health news? Do you know of a similar case in your place?

Source: CNN

Image: The Voice of Russia

London Soldier Killed In Cleaver Attack Named

London Soldier Killed In Cleaver Attack NamedThe soldier killed in an attack in London has been named as Drummer Lee Rigby of the 2nd Battalion the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers. Drummer Rigby, 25, from Manchester, leaves behind a two-year-old son.

‘Loving father’

Two suspects shot by police after Wednesday’s attack in Woolwich remain under arrest. A further two people have been arrested on conspiracy to murder. The suspects, one of whom is said to be Islamist protester Michael Adebolajo, were known to security services. Scotland Yard said the latest arrests were of a man and woman, both aged 29.

Drummer Rigby, from Middleton, Greater Manchester, joined the Army in 2006. He was described as a “loving father to his son Jack” and someone who would be “sorely missed by all who knew him”.


‘Experienced and talented’

Drummer Rigby had taken up a post with the Regimental Recruiting Team in London in 2011.

“An experienced and talented side drummer and machine gunner, he was a true warrior and served with distinction in Afghanistan, Germany and Cyprus,” said his commanding officer Lt Col Jim Taylor… His ability, talent and personality made him a natural choice to work in the recruiting group.”

Shortly after the killing, a man, thought to be 28-year-old Mr Adebolajo, was filmed by a passer-by, saying he carried out the attack because British soldiers killed Muslims every day. According to BBC sources, Mr Adebolajo, a Briton of Nigerian descent, comes from a devout Christian family but took up Islam after leaving college in 2001.

Was the murder of Drummer Lee Rigby a terrorist act? What could have been the reason for this senseless violence?

Source: BBC News

Image: The Sun