Health Risk Of Drying Clothes Indoors

Health Risk Of Drying Clothes IndoorsDrying laundry in the home poses a health risk to those prone to asthma, hay fever and other allergies, according to new research.  A study carried out by the Mackintosh School of Architecture found that many homes had too much moisture indoors. Up to a third of this moisture was attributed to drying laundry.

‘Dedicated drying areas’

The researchers have called on housebuilders to build dedicated drying areas into new housing to address the health concerns. A study of 100 homes by the Mackintosh Environmental Architecture Research Unit in Glasgow found 87% dried their washing indoors in colder weather. Researcher Rosalie Menon said people were not aware how much moisture this added to the air.

She said: “Going into people’s homes, we found they were drying washing in their living rooms, in their bedrooms. Some were literally decorating the house with it, but from just one load of washing two litres of water will be emitted.”


‘Lung infections’

A total of 75% of households, which were of mixed styles, had moisture levels which could lead to dust mite growth. There was also a strong association between drying laundry and mould spores. A particular mould spore known to cause lung infections in people with weakened immune systems was found in 25% of the homes sampled.

The research, funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, was the first to track the implications of drying laundry passively inside the home. All of the types of housing surveyed had a lack of suitable spaces for drying clothes.

Do you often dry your laundry indoors? Tell us how this has affected your health in some way!

Source: BBC News

Image: The Independent

‘Heart Attack Grill’ Customer Collapses While Eating ‘Double Bypass Burger’

No one can accuse The Heart Attack Grill of false advertising. A woman collapsed into unconsciousness at the Las Vegas restaurant while eating a “double bypass burger,” drinking a margarita and smoking a cigarette.

The unnamed customer was the second in just over two months to collapse at the restaurant while eating one of the famed burgers named after various forms of cardiac arrest. Back in February, another customer was caught on video being carted out by paramedics after suffering a heart attack while eating a “quadruple bypass” burger.


The Heart Attack Grill’s owner Jon Basso tells ABC News that the woman is currently recovering in the hospital. Basso told ABC that he himself has eaten at least one single bypass burger each day since his restaurant first opened seven years ago.

The Heart Attack Grill offers free meals to any customer who weighs over 350 pounds and features a butterfat milkshake, nonfiltered cigarettes, “flatliner” fries and four burgers, each rated on an ascending scale of “a single bypass” to the “quadruple bypass.” There’s a tongue-in-cheek warning sign at the restaurant’s door stating that the offered dining fare is a health risk. Waitresses in the restaurant even wear nurses’ uniforms.

Do you think the restaurant is liable for what happened to their customers who collapsed? Tell us what you think!

Source: Yahoo News

Image: Oddity Central