‘Blade Runner’ Oscar Pistorius Faces Murder Charge Over Girlfriend’s Fatal Shooting

'Blade Runner' Oscar Pistorius Faces Murder Charge Over Girlfriend's Fatal ShootingSouth African Olympic and Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius is facing a murder charge after his girlfriend was shot and killed at his Pretoria home. His arrest over the death of model Reeva Steenkamp has stunned the country where he is considered a national hero. The 26-year-old is due to appear in court on Friday.

‘Four gunshot wounds’

Mr Pistorius made history in London last year when he became the first double-amputee track athlete to compete in the Olympic Games. He is known as the “blade runner” because of the carbon fibre prosthetic blades he races in. He was born without a fibula in both legs and had his legs amputated below the knee before his first birthday.

Police were called to his home in the upmarket Silver Woods gated compound on the outskirts of South Africa’s administrative capital in the early hours of Thursday morning. They found paramedics treating a 29-year-old woman with four gunshot wounds to the head and upper body. She died at the scene, and officers recovered a 9mm pistol.


‘Mistaken for an intruder’

Early reports suggested Mr Pistorius might have mistaken his girlfriend for an intruder. Police say neighbours heard screaming and shouting around the time of the shooting, and that they had been called to investigate incidents of a domestic nature at the same house in the past. They also said that they would oppose any bail application.

South Africa has one of the highest rates of crime in the world and many residents keep weapons to protect themselves against intruders. But gun ownership is strictly regulated and it is not easy to obtain a licence.

Do you think it was really Oscar Pistorius who shot his girlfriend? What could have been the real reason behind this fatal shooting?

Source: BBC News

Image: The Telegraph

Syrian Opposition: ‘Acts of Genocide’ are Occurring

Syria’s major opposition group condemned Bashar al-Assad’s regime Wednesday for “brutal massacres” this week and urged the U.N. Security Council to protect civilians against “acts of genocide.” “The regime is using children as human shields so that tanks and armored vehicles can storm residential areas,” said the Syrian National Council, which said that about 250 people have died over a 48-hour period.

“Incidents of gruesome murders have been recorded,” the council said Wednesday, including the killings of four brothers and the beheading of a sheikh, whose head was hung above a mosque entrance. Both incidents occurred in Idlib, and the council says “acts of genocide” are occurring in Zawiyah Mountain in Idlib province in the northwest and the city of Homs in the west.

It cites “the regime’s use of heavy weapons and artillery in shelling civilian neighborhoods, as was the case in the Baba Amr neighborhood of Homs, as well as in the villages of Kansafra, Kafar Awaid, and Mazrain, where a large number of residents were killed. Other residents were forced to flee under heavy gunfire,” the council said. The villages are in Idlib province.

The violence spiked as Syria agreed to an Arab League observer mission Monday aimed at ending the violence between regime forces and protesters that started in mid-March. The United Nations this month estimated that about 5,000 people have died in the bloodshed.

The United States, the European Union, the Arab League and Turkey have initiated sanctions against the regime. The French Foreign Ministry called on the U.N. Security Council to speak out on a firm resolution that ends repression in Syria, and it asked Russia, a Syrian ally, to “accelerate talks” at the council on a plan it devised to deal with the instability.

 

Source: CNN.com

Image: Carbonated.tv