Teen Suspect In Chris Lane Shooting Posted Racist Tweets

Teen Suspect In Chris Lane Shooting Posted Racist TweetsOne of the Oklahoma teenagers accused of killing 23-year-old Australian baseball player Christopher Lane previously posted images online showing himself posing with guns and wads of cash.

‘White ppl are nasty’

And three days before what police call the indiscriminate shooting, the suspect, 15-year-old James Edwards Jr., tweeted, “With my n****s when it’s time to start taken life’s” — a line from the Chief Keef rap song, “I Don’t Like.”

Back in April, he tweeted, “90% of white ppl (people) are nasty. #HATE THEM.”

Police in the town of Duncan have charged Edwards and Chancey Luna, 16, as adults with first degree felony murder, said Kaylee Chandler, a Stephens County court clerk. Michael Jones, their alleged 17-year-old driver, faces two charges: use of a vehicle in the discharge of a weapon and accessory after the fact to murder in the first degree. A judge set bond at $1 million for Jones and no bond for Edwards and Luna, Chandler said.


‘We were bored’

Police say it was Jones who ultimately told them, “We were bored and didn’t have anything to do, so we decided to kill somebody.”

The seemingly senseless killing has left many Americans disgusted. And for some, it triggered a political question with racial overtones in the wake of the polarizing Trayvon Martin case, in which an unarmed black teen was killed by a neighborhood watch volunteer who claimed self-defense. The acquittal of George Zimmerman, who describes himself as Hispanic, infuriated many people and triggered protests around the country, as well as remarks from President Barack Obama.

Now, some Americans are asking why this killing, in which the victim was white and the alleged killers black, has not brought reaction from the president.

Do you think the senseless shooting of Christopher Lane was fueled by racism? Are the parents of the teen suspects at fault here?

Source: Randi Kaye, Hilary Whiteman and Josh Levs | CNN

Image: Fox News

Mexican-American Boy Shrugs Off Racist Comments After Singing National Anthem At NBA Finals

Mexican-American Boy Shrugs Off Racist Comments After Singing National Anthem At NBA FinalsAn 11-year-old boy’s rendition of the national anthem at Game 3 of the NBA finals brought the usual appreciative applause Tuesday, but outside AT&T Center in San Antonio, his performance brought a darker reaction from some posters on social media — and eventually an online backlash against their racist comments.

‘Harsh reaction’

Sebastien has been singing since he was 5 but gained fame in 2012 after being on NBC’s “America’s Got Talent” for singing his mariachi ballads with hopes of winning to help his younger brother get surgery for his hearing problem.

A collection of the negative tweets was posted on Public Shaming, a Tumblr blog dedicated to outing and shaming racists’ social media posts. Other media outlets used that post as the foundation for the story, and the story took off from there. After the harsh reaction spread across the Internet, tweets supporting and defending Sebastien and vociferously denouncing his critics started to take over.


‘Persistent problem’

San Antonio is a multicultural city with more than 55% of the population being Hispanic and 90% of those people identifying themselves as Mexican according to the Pew Hispanic Center. For some Mexican-Americans, the incident was just the latest sign of a persistent problem they face: being treated as outsiders in their own country.

It will take a lot more than some racist tweets to bring Sebastien down. The “boy with the golden voice” tweeted earlier today:

“Please do not pay attention to the negative people. I am an American living the American Dream. This is part of the American life.”

What is your reaction regarding the racist criticisms agains Sebastien De La Cruz? Feel free to dish out your thoughts and opinions via the comment box below!

Source: Cindy Y. Rodriguez, CNN

Image: Fox Sports