Johnny Football Being Investigated By NCAA Over Autographs

Johnny Football Being Investigated By NCAA Over AutographsThe NCAA has opened up an investigation into whether Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel has violated its amateurism rules after the Heisman Trophy winner was reportedly paid for signing memorabilia in January.

‘Could be ruled ineligible’

According to a report from ESPN’s Darren Rovell and Justine Gubar, Manziel was paid a “five-figure flat fee” to sign hundreds of items during a session prior to this year’s BCS National Championship Game. Manziel, whose Texas A&M squad won the Cotton Bowl over Oklahoma 41-13, was in Miami for the game as a spectator. ESPN is also reporting that many of the items Manziel signed were at the behest of autograph broker Drew Tieman.

If Manziel accepted money or gifts, both he and the Aggies could face punishment. If found in violation of NCAA rules, Manziel could be ruled ineligible for the 2013 season.


‘Heisman’

ESPN’s report claims Tieman has since been contacted by NCAA officials regarding the case. James Garland, the NCAA’s assistant director of enforcement, is investigating whether some items listed on eBay were linked to that session.

Manziel burst onto the scene last year, leading the Aggies to one of their finest seasons in school history. He passed for 3,706 yards and 26 touchdowns against nine interceptions, adding 1,410 yards and 21 touchdowns on the ground. His all-around individual effort helped push Texas A&M to an 11-2 record, and Manziel became the first freshman in NCAA history to win the Heisman.

What do you think will be the result of the NCAA investigation? Should Johnny Manziel be sanctioned for this?

Source: Tyler Conway | Bleacher Report

Image: CBS Sports

Dozens Killed In Spanish Train Crash

Dozens Killed In Spanish Train CrashA train has derailed in north-western Spain, killing at least 77 people and injuring more than 100, officials in the Galicia region have said. All eight carriages of the train, which was travelling from Madrid to Ferrol, came off the tracks near the city of Santiago de Compostela. Analysts say it is the worst rail accident in Spain in four decades.

‘Accident’

Rescue workers have so far recovered 73 bodies from the accident site, while four more people died in hospital, a spokeswoman for Galicia’s supreme court said on Thursday. Judges are responsible for registering deaths in Spain. Government officials said they believed the crash was an accident, but that no statement would be made regarding the cause without a proper investigation.

One witness, Ricardo Montesco, described how the train carriages “piled on top of one another” after the train hit a curve, speaking to Spanish Cadena Ser radio station. Spanish El Pais newspaper cited sources close to the investigation as saying the train was travelling at over twice the speed limit on a sharp curve.


‘Cancelled’

The derailment happened on the eve of Santiago de Compostela’s main festival where thousands of Christian pilgrims were expected to flock to the city in honour of Saint James. However, the city’s tourism board said all festivities planned for Thursday have been cancelled.

Railway firm Renfe said the train was carrying at least 218 passengers, and came off the tracks on a bend about 3km (two miles) from Santiago de Compostela station. It was on the express route between Madrid and the ship-building city of Ferrol on the Galician coast.

What do you think caused the Spanish train’s derailment? Feel free to share your speculations with us!

Source: BBC News

Image: The Telegraph