Manny Pacquiao Concedes To 55-45 Split To Fight Floyd Mayweather Jr.

The burden, finally, is fully and entirely on Floyd Mayweather Jr. to make a fight with Manny Pacquiao.

Pacquiao agreed Thursday during appearances on two separate television shows on ESPN to give Mayweather a 55-45 advantage on a financial split should they fight, as the public has been demanding since late 2009. A match between them is expected to be the most lucrative bout in boxing history.

Pacquiao, who meets Juan Manuel Marquez for a fourth time on Dec. 8 in Las Vegas, had been demanding a 50-50 split. Without such a split, he’d said repeatedly over the last 18 months that he would not agree to a fight with Mayweather.

The other major hurdle blocking the fight between the two men regarded by many as the two best in the world was Mayweather’s demand for Olympic-style drug testing. Initially, Pacquiao balked at the testing. He has since changed his stance and has said repeatedly over the last year he would fully comply with the tests, just as Shane Mosley, Victor Ortiz and Miguel Cotto have done in Mayweather’s last three fights.


If Mayweather raises new objections, then it becomes obvious he’s not serious and is playing some sort of game. But at this stage, with the demand for the bout seemingly waning a bit because of all the inaction and drama that has surrounded the talks, it would be a miscalculation for Mayweather to add more conditions. He has spoken of being rated the greatest fighter ever, and to do that, he’d have to beat the best opponent of his era. Without question, for Mayweather, that is Pacquiao.

If Pacquiao does his job and defeats Marquez on Dec. 8, then the fate of a potential Mayweather-Pacquiao fight will rest solely on Mayweather’s shoulders. It may be the defining moment of his life.

Do you think Floyd Mayweather will finally agree to fight Manny Pacquiao without adding another condition to the bout? Are you pro-Pacquiao or pro-Mayweather? Tell us which boxer gets your best bet!

Source: Yahoo News

Image: SMT Daily

WBO Investigation: Pacquiao Defeated Bradley

Five independent judges hired by the World Boxing Organization became the latest to conclude that Manny Pacquiao defeated Timothy Bradley when they fought for the welterweight title on June 9 in Las Vegas.

WBO president Francisco “Paco” Valcarcel announced on June 13 he would have a panel of what he called “five international judges” review the scoring of the highly controversial bout. Bradley won a split decision and ended Pacquiao’s seven-year winning streak in a result that outraged the sporting world. Judges Duane Ford and C.J. Ross each scored the bout 115-113 for Bradley, while Jerry Roth saw it 115-113 for Pacquiao.

The outrage at the call was so great that less than 24 hours after the bout concluded, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told Yahoo! Sports he would ask Nevada attorney general Catherine Cortez Masto to investigate the fight. Arum wants the investigation because the public and many boxing websites have accused him of fixing the fight and having a hand in the judging.


Valcarcel would not identify the five judges he had review the tape of the fight, but he said they were well-known, respected officials.He said all five scored it for Pacquiao. One of the judges had it 118-110, or 10 rounds to two. Two of them had it 117-111 (the same that Yahoo! Sports scored it on fight night), one had it 116-112 and the other had it as Roth did, 115-113.

Valcarcel kept a promise not to strip Bradley of the belt. He ordered a rematch, but there was a rematch clause in the contract and Pacquiao has said he wants to exercise it. Upon hearing the news of the WBO’s reviews, Pacquiao told reporters in the Philippines he was pleased and that he would defeat Bradley in a rematch to regain the title. Arum, though, said he wouldn’t agree to a rematch until he spoke with Pacquiao and explained the ramifications.

Should a rematch between Pacquiao and Bradley take place on November, which boxer would you bet on?

Source: Yahoo News

Image: Inside HBO Boxing