John Kerry: U.S. Will Support U.N. Arms Regulation Treaty

John Kerry U.S. Will Support U.N. Arms Regulation TreatySecretary of State John Kerry said Monday that the Obama administration would sign a controversial U.N. treaty on arms regulation, despite bipartisan resistance in Congress from members concerned it could lead to new gun control measures in the U.S.

‘Regulate arms brokers’

Kerry, releasing a written statement as the U.N. treaty opened for signature Monday, said the U.S. “welcomes” the next phase for the treaty, which the U.N. General Assembly approved on April 2.

The treaty would require countries that ratify it to establish national regulations to control the transfer of conventional arms and components and to regulate arms brokers, but it will not explicitly control the domestic use of weapons in any country.


‘Global importance’

Still, gun-rights supporters on Capitol Hill warn the treaty could be used as the basis for additional gun regulations inside the U.S. and have threatened not to ratify.  Last week, 130 members of Congress signed a letter to Obama and Kerry urging them to reject the measure for this and other reasons.

The United Nations has organized a high-level signing ceremony at U.N. headquarters on Monday — a sign of the treaty’s global importance — and several dozen countries are expected to sign, the first step to ratification.

Many violence-wracked countries, including Congo and South Sudan, are also expected to sign. The coalition said their signature — and ratification — will make it more difficult for illicit arms to cross borders. The treaty covers battle tanks, armored combat vehicles, large-caliber artillery systems, combat aircraft, attack helicopters, warships, missiles and missile launchers, and small arms and light weapons.

Are you in favor of the U.N. arms regulation treaty? Why or why not?

Source: Fox News

Image: Yahoo News

U.S. Golfers Pull Out Of South Korean Tournament

U.S. Golfers Pull Out Of South Korean TournamentDustin Johnson and Zach Johnson have decided to skip the Ballantine’s Championship in South Korea, according to a report from Reuters (via !).

‘Threaten to strike South Korea’

You can hardly blame an American athlete for wanting to avoid the region. North Korea’s regime under Kim Jong Un continues to threaten to strike South Korea without warning and has missiles in place ready to fire, and Kim continues to hurl venom at the United States.


‘Skip the tournament’

According to Reuters’ report, the top-ranked player in the tournament will be No. 7 Louis Oosthuizen, while other recognizable players will include South Korea’s Yang Yong-eun, British Open champion Paul Lawrie and Paul Casey.  While the American pair will skip the tournament due to political unrest in the region, they also sacrifice the chance to win the $2.88 million prize for first place.

Dustin Johnson has had a very solid season, with four top-13 finishes including a win at the Hyundai Tournament of Champions and a 13th-place finish at last week’s Masters. He currently ranks No. 17 in the world. Zach Johnson hasn’t been as successful, with just one top-20 finish on the year and a ranking of No. 30. He finished a disappointing 35th at the Masters. Despite the pair pulling out of the tournament, plenty of talented players will still compete.

Was pulling out of the Ballantine’s Championship in South Korea a good move for both Dustin Johnson and Zach Johnson? Who says ‘Yay’ and who says ‘Nay’?

Source: Timothy Rapp, Bleacher Report

Image: Golf 365