Severely Wounded Troops Snubbed At Walter Reed Dining Hall

Severely Wounded Troops Snubbed At Walter Reed Dining HallIn a disturbing revelation about the treatment of America’s most severely wounded troops, Fox News has learned the military earlier this month decided to invalidate meal tickets and reduce hours for the sole dining facility in the Walter Reed building where they are recovering.

‘Walk, wheel or limp’

The decision affects the Warrior Cafe located inside building 62, home to all multiple amputees and long-term, recovering patients at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Md.

The decision would mean wounded warriors who would normally have a government-funded meal just down the hall would have to walk, wheel or limp nearly a half-mile across the Walter Reed campus to the temporary “food trailer” for breakfast, lunch and dinner.


‘Misappropriated’

After Fox News submitted multiple inquiries with senior military officials earlier this week, the Pentagon responded late Wednesday. Lt. Col. Catherine Wilkinson, a Pentagon spokesman, told Fox News that Dr. Jonathan Woodson, assistant secretary of Defense for health affairs, has decided to reverse the changes. Yet so far, no patients at Walter Reed have been notified of that decision and there has been no formal announcement.

Officials in the Pentagon and at Walter Reed did not respond to questions about why the changes were made, but congressional sources with knowledge of the decision say it was based on concerns that government funds for the warrior meals were being misappropriated.

How should the government address this concern? Do you think the warrior meals are indeed being misappropriated? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions with us via the comment box below!

Source: Justin Fishel, Jennifer Griffin | Fox News

Image: Free Republic

Pentagon: North Korea May Be Capable Of Launching Nuclear Missile

Pentagon North Korea May Be Capable Of Launching Nuclear MissileThe Pentagon’s intelligence arm has assessed with “moderate confidence” that North Korea has the ability to deliver a nuclear weapon with a ballistic missile, though the reliability is believed to be “low.”

‘Surprise development’

Disclosed first by a congressman at a hearing on Thursday and then confirmed to CNN by the Defense Department, the assessment by the Defense Intelligence Agency is the clearest acknowledgment yet by the United States about potential advances in North Korea’s nuclear program.

The surprise development comes amid heightened tensions on the Korean Peninsula. North Korea has unleashed a torrent of dramatic threats against the United States and South Korea in recent weeks, including that of a possible nuclear strike.

Pentagon spokesman George Little said later Thursday, “It would be inaccurate to suggest that the North Korean regime has fully tested, developed, or demonstrated the kinds of nuclear capabilities referenced in the passage” of the DIA study.


‘Capable of delivery’

That stance was echoed by James R. Clapper, director of U.S. national intelligence, who said the statement read by Rep. Doug Lamborn “is not an intelligence community assessment. Moreover, North Korea has not yet demonstrated the full range of capabilities necessary for a nuclear armed missile.”

Lamborn, R-Colorado, read from a declassified version of the DIA assessment at a House Armed Services Committee hearing, “DIA assess with moderate confidence the North currently has nuclear weapons capable of delivery by ballistic missiles, however, the reliability will be low.”

Reliability is apparently a reference to the accuracy of the missiles. It is was not clear whether other U.S. intelligence agencies, such as the CIA, agree with the defense analysis.

Do you think North Korea is capable of launching a nuclear missile? And will a war erupt soon?

Source: Jethro Mullen. Barbara Starr and Joe Sterling, CNN

Image: The National Turk