Dzokhar Tsarnaev Pleads Not Guilty To Boston Marathon Bombing Charges

Dzokhar Tsarnaev Pleads Not Guilty To Boston Marathon Bombing ChargesHis arm in a cast and his face swollen, a blase-looking Dzhokhar Tsarnaev pleaded not guilty Wednesday in the Boston Marathon bombing in a seven-minute proceeding that marked his first appearance in public since his capture in mid-April.

’30 federal charges’

Leaning into the microphone, he told a federal judge, “Not guilty” in his Russian accent and said it over and over as the charges were read. Tsarnaev, who has been hospitalized since his capture with wounds suffered in a shootout and getaway attempt, faces 30 federal charges, including using a weapon of mass destruction to kill, in connection with the April 15 attack that left three people dead and more than 260 wounded. He could get the death penalty if prosecutors choose to pursue it.

Authorities say Tsarnaev orchestrated the bombing along with his older brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who died following a gun battle with police three days after the attack. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was arrested on April 19, hiding in a bloodstained boat in a suburban backyard after a manhunt that paralyzed much of the Boston area.


‘Pressure cookers’

Prosecutors say Tsarnaev, a Muslim, wrote about his motivations for the bombing on the inside walls and beams of the boat. He scrawled that the U.S. government was “killing our innocent civilians,” and also wrote: “We Muslims are one body, you hurt one you hurt us all.”

Martin Richard, 8, Krystle Marie Campbell, 29, and Lingzi Lu, 23, were killed by the two bombs, which were fashioned out of pressure cookers, gunpowder, nails and other shrapnel. Numerous victims lost legs.

What do you think will be the outcome of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev? Do you think he’ll get the death penalty? Feel free to discuss this case with us via the comment box below!

Source: Denise Lavoie and Jay Lindsay | Associated Press, Yahoo! News

Image: The New Yorker

NSA Leaker Edward Snowden Receives Marriage Proposal From Ex-Russian Spy

NSA Leaker Edward Snowden Receives Marriage Proposal From Ex-Russian SpyThe rest of the world may not want him, but NSA leaker Edward Snowden has at least one potential taker: Anna Chapman. The ex-spy tweeted yesterday, “Snowden, will you marry me?!”

‘Gathering intel for Russia’

The former Russian spy may have sympathy for the man who spilled top-secret documents. Chapman, after all, is no stranger to run-ins with government authorities. The 31-year-old had been posing as a real-estate agent in the United States in 2010 when she was accused of gathering intel for Russia. She and nine others were deported back to Russia in a prisoner swap.

Now the ex-secret agent has become a celebrity in her homeland, most recently as host of the TV show, “Secrets of the World.”


‘Diplomatic limbo’

But Snowden seems to be unavailable at the moment — and may be rejected by Russia as well. After 11 days, the AP reports that “Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said Russia had received no request for political asylum from Snowden and he had to solve his problems himself.”

The NSA contractor has been on the run since he spilled secrets on the classified NSA surveillance programs to the press. He has been in diplomatic limbo since having his passport revoked, and has had countless requests for asylum refused.

Well, what do you think of Anna Chapman’s brazen offer to Edward Snowden? And what do you think will be Snowden’s next move in connection to his current fugitive status? Feel free to share your speculations with us. Broadcast your thoughts via the comment box below!

Source: Claudine Zap | Yahoo News

Image: Deccan Chronicle