Dog Put To Sleep For Resembling Pit Bull Breed

Despite a global outcry from animal rights activists, a dog was put to sleep in Belfast, Northern Ireland, on Wednesday because city officials said he looked like a pit bull.

The 7-year-old pug-nosed dog, Lennox, was at the center of a two-year legal battle between his owners and the Belfast City Council. The city’s dog wardens seized Lennox in 2010, claiming he was a dangerous “pit bull-type dog,” according to The Associated Press. Pit bulls are illegal in the United Kingdom. Lennox’s owners argued he was not only not dangerous—he was not even a pit bull. In court, Lennox’s owner Caroline Barnes said the dog had never bitten anyone, but that she would muzzle him around strangers.

The case sparked outrage among animal rights groups, inspiring a “Save Lennox” campaign and an online petition that collected more than 200,000 signatures. Some people—including celebrity dog trainer Victoria Stilwell—offered to adopt the dog in the United States, where pit bulls are legal. But last month, a senior appeals court in Northern Ireland upheld a lower court ruling that called for Lennox to be put down.


On Tuesday, Lennox’s owners released a statement on their Facebook page, saying they were denied the opportunity to “say goodbye”:

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you all again for your messages of support. We are sorry to say at the present time Belfast city council seem to be intent on killing our boy. Despite previous assurances otherwise, we have been denied the opportunity to say goodbye. We have also been told that we cannot collect his body and bring Len home. We have been informed however that we will receive “some” ashes in the mail.

What is your opinion regarding the Belfast Council’s decision to euthanize poor Lennox? Did the dog deserve to die just because he resembled a pit bull? Share your opinions with us!

Source: Yahoo News

Image: Channel 4 News

Bumbo Seats — Profit Over Safety?

Like millions of other parents over the past several years, Kevin and Lucy Ferrell used a new baby product called the Bumbo Baby Sitter that they bought at Toys R Us to prop up their son, Colby. The simple molded plastic seat is more upright than a bouncy chair, and less rigid than a high chair, making it a hit with parents looking for new infant gear. But when 9-month-old Colby fell out of the seat and fractured his skull, his parents learned very quickly that the seat wasn’t ideal for a small, moving child.

Bumbo, which is used to help babies sit up before they’re able to do so on their own, has been an unquestioned success in sales – with nearly 4 million sold in the U.S. since 2003. But its safety record is uncertain.

The South African company recalled Bumbo in 2007 after a spate of 28 injuries reported to the Consumer Product Safety Commission - including numerous skull fractures – and placed warning labels on the seats that said they shouldn’t be used on elevated surfaces. Then in late November, the CPSC issued an unusual warning noting children were hurt both when the product was elevated and when it was on the ground.

Bumbo’s U.S. attorney, Tarush R. Anand, says he cannot comment on the litigation, but did provide a statement from Bumbo, in which the company says the product is safe. “The Bumbo baby seat is a safe product for infants when it is used as intended: on the floor and never on an elevated surface,” the statement says. The company also says it is working with the Consumer Product Safety Commission to educate parents on the correct use of the seat.

 

Source: Yahoo! News

Image: eHealth Forum