Mexico’s Drug War Resulted In Mother’s Day Massacre

The mass dumping of headless bodies administers a shock to Mexico, long numbed by a death count of nearly 50,000 brought on by president Felipe Calderon’s war against the crime cartels. By the time his tenure ends this December, six years after his declaration, that number will likely surpass 60,000.

Of the seven major cartels, some have vanished, but smaller syndicates have scrambled into the vacuum. The two largest—Sinaloa and Los Zetas—remain in power and at each other’s throats. A beefed-up federal force has supplanted Mexico’s underpaid, poorly treated, corrupt police force, but corruption persists, and journalists are being killed.

The corpses, mostly men, were dumped Sunday on a highway in Cadereyta, Nuevo Leon, about 75 miles outside Texas. The corpses’s heads, hands, and feet had been chopped off. First reports estimated there were 49 headless bodies, but the count may actually be closer to 70; the actual number won’t be known until the body parts are untangled.


According to Borderland Beat, these deaths resulted from a power struggle between the two largest drug cartels and were reportedly timed for Mother’s Day, May 10 in Mexico—and a day when some mothers marched to protest the government’s failure to stop the killings. The inhumanity amounts to near genocide. Heads have been thrown into nightclubs and one victim’s face was skinned and sewn onto a football. There’s been a resurgence in beheadings, thanks to cartel leaders inspired by al-Qaida execution videos.

Suggested solutions range from legalizing drugs—and diminishing the profit motive—to transferring returning soldiers to the border and along smuggling routes, relieving the Mexican military and allowing them to focus inland.

With Mexico facing an upcoming election, what do you think should political candidates include in their platform against crime? Share your opinions with us!

Source: Yahoo News

Image: Virtual Mirage

U.S. Marines Urinating on Corpses Committed ‘Potential War Crime’

A number of websites including TMZ and YouTube posted a video Wednesday showing four men dressed in U.S. Marine Corps combat gear urinating on the apparently dead bodies of three men sprawled on the ground in front of them. It was not clear who shot or posted the 39-second video, who the people pictured in it were, or where it was shot.

A senior Marine Corps official who has examined the video said the Marines are carrying 30-caliber sniper rifles and wearing helmets issued to members of Marine Corps sniper teams. The helmets are designed with a shorter front and sides so that snipers can place rifles and scopes near their faces. The official, who said an investigating officer was expected to be named shortly, added that the desecration of a body by U.S. troops could be considered a potential war crime.

“Regardless of the circumstances or who is in the video, this is egregious, disgusting behavior,” said Department of Defense spokesman Capt. John Kirby. “It’s hideous. It turned my stomach.”

In a statement, the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations condemned the video. “If verified as authentic, the video shows behavior that is totally unbecoming of American military personnel and that could ultimately endanger other soldiers and civilians,” wrote CAIR National Executive Director Nihad Awad in a letter to Defense Secretary Leon Panetta. “Any guilty parties must be punished to the full extent allowed by the Uniform Code of Military Justice and by relevant American laws.”

 

Source: CNN

Image: International Business Times